It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2009, 8:23 pm 
Pintail

Which one would you go to? I thought this would be a good topic of conversation. I love learning about all the old clubs with lots of history, I think that some of them would be absolutely breathtaking. So Where would ya'll go?

I would go to the Greenbriar club in Arkansas. It was John Olin's (Founder of Winchester) duck club, but is now owned by a group of extremely lucky, unthinkably rich folks. They have a hole in their woods where the only shotgun allowed is a .410. It is aptly named "The .410 Hole" This is a picture of it, and the bench pictured is actually Mr. Olin's bench that he used to sit on when he hunted there.

" In Timberwoods and pothole shooting, I would much rather have a call and no decoys, then decoys and no call." -Nash Buckingham

Last edited by 2ndratecaller on October 3rd, 2009, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2009, 8:42 pm 
Harlequin Duck

There are a few clubs around Greenwood, MS, that have been private for probably 100+ years. Old money. I'd sure like a few hunts in those cypress breaks.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2009, 8:49 pm 
Pintail

cupnglide wrote:
There are a few clubs around Greenwood, MS, that have been private for probably 100+ years. Old money. I'd sure like a few hunts in those cypress breaks.

Dang there are soooo many around there.....lets see, there's the big one Fighting Bayou, there is TEOC, and there is Double Cypress.......just to name a few

" In Timberwoods and pothole shooting, I would much rather have a call and no decoys, then decoys and no call." -Nash Buckingham

Last edited by 2ndratecaller on October 3rd, 2009, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2009, 11:51 pm 
Red-Headed Peckerwood

If you go to a "famous" duck club then YOU ARE A TOPWATER!!!!!!!!!! Seriously.... I want you to come up here to N Ala and hunt with me and my buddies one day this year!

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 12:07 am 
Pintail

HogJaw wrote:
If you go to a "famous" duck club then YOU ARE A TOPWATER!!!!!!!!!! Seriously.... I want you to come up here to N Ala and hunt with me and my buddies one day this year!

buddy....I'm not talking about outfitters or guides where you can pay to hunt.....I'm talking old money, private, get shot if caught trespassing, historical duck clubs. This ain't no topwater thread, there is incredible waterfowling history all over the place in a lot of really old famous clubs. Take Beaver Dam for example.....Have you ever read a Nash Buckingham Story? Or Wingmead north of Stuttgart, Edgar Queeny, basically "took" 11,000 acres of land through imminent domain in the 1930's and now it is probably one of the best duck clubs in all of Arkansas. And these are just a few famous ones.....there are a ton more (i'm not even going to begin to explain Claypools) and then there are great clubs that aren't nearly as famous like Bull Sprig, Harvey's, Dancing Mallard, Mallard Pond, Fighting Bayou, The Doctor's Club, York Woods, Irby Woods.......just to name a few.....A lot of money, sweat, and hard work went into starting all of these clubs......I would hardly call that "topwater"

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 6:13 am 
Harlequin Duck

none,,,,,,the ducks aint no different just cuz there from a rich persons honey hole,,,,they aint real hunters anyway...let them come out and hunt the rivers and creeks we do and put forth the work it takes to ry and kill 3 or 4,,they couldnt hack it

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 9:27 am 
Mallard

I agree with duckinator the best duck hunters in the world are public river hunters... BUT I would still love to hunt at one of these historic clubs, just b/c of the rich tradition. My list would probably go Beaverdam, The Canvasback club (Nevada) may possibly be the oldest continuing club out there, and Claypools; In that order.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 10:03 am 
Wood Duck

wildlife farms

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 10:34 am 
Ruddy Duck

York Woods its 7000 acres surround by federal refuge in North MS

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 1:41 pm 
Pintail

smokestick wrote:
wildlife farms

I was leaning more towards, Private, non-commercial places but good choice none the less

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 2:26 pm 
Red-Headed Peckerwood

Yeah last time I checked you still gotta "pay" to join a club, whether it be deer, turkey, duck, whatever. They ain't just gonna let you hunt fo free guy! I don't like rich people. They tend to think they own everything and "old money" is even worse in my experience. Just because a person has mo money than me or their granddaddy was some big shot lawyer or doctor don't mean nothin. Let you and all them folks out ther in R-Kansas come over here and hunt what we have to and see if you all don't tuck tail and run back to your flooded timber and shoot what ya'll think is the only duck in the world! All in alll I'm just messin with you. Just wanted to say that before this all gets outta hand. But to me that just aiin't the same kinda huntin we do. That's all I'm sayin. Hey man I'd love to stand right there by a big tree with you and shoot green heads just as much as I'd like for you to come up here and sit in a blind with me and shoot scared chitless gadwalls or retarded canvasbacks! All in fun dude All in fun.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 2:41 pm 
Ruddy Duck

Back home in Michigan there are some amazing old school hunt clubs. But I would def want to go the Chesapeak bay or the thousand island area, been once and it is better then anythign i have ever seen.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 3:01 pm 
Pintail

HogJaw wrote:
Yeah last time I checked you still gotta "pay" to join a club, whether it be deer, turkey, duck, whatever. They ain't just gonna let you hunt fo free guy!

sorry, forgot to mention.....This is a Hypothetical Question.... :D :D

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 3:08 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Swan Creek :cool

John 8:12

WRONG IS STILL WRONG NO MATTER IF EVERYONE IS DOING IT, AND RIGHT IS STILL RIGHT NO MATTER IF NO ONE IS DOING IT.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 5:48 pm 
Banded Black Duck

I would have to say something in Havre de Grace, Maryland. Its been a dream of mine to hunt the Susquehanna Flats of the Chesapeake. The arkansas clubs seem like rich ppl that just like the corporate hunting on the weekends. These historic clubs in maryland go back to the times when guys were market gunning to pay their bills. Too many famous decoys carvers in that region too that i'd like to hang out with. I could spend hours in the decoy museum up there.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 8:29 pm 
Tundra Swan

Currituck Shooting Club at the Outer Banks. On the National Register of Historic Places.

HRCH Play It Again, Sam MH *** "Sam"
Scout's High Calibre "Colt"

PostPosted: October 4th, 2009, 4:01 am 
Wood Duck

Gatortrax1854 wrote:
Swan Creek :cool

Haha, yea i heard that plcae is incredible. The legend goes "If you get there early enough you will have the whole place to yourself. No one will dare walk in late and disturb your amazing duck hunt. They say the water is black with coots and the sky is blue with emptyness." Sounds like an amazing place.

Duck Junkies Pro-Staff

PostPosted: October 4th, 2009, 3:59 pm 
Banded Black Duck

thatd take the fun out of hunting around here goining somewhere like that ill stick with my local beaver swamps ponds and tha tennessee river! but id probly go if had the chance.... who wouldnt?

PostPosted: October 4th, 2009, 4:00 pm 
Canvasback

2ndratecaller wrote:
HogJaw wrote:

buddy....I'm not talking about outfitters or guides where you can pay to hunt.....I'm talking old money, private, get shot if caught trespassing, historical duck clubs. This ain't no topwater thread, there is incredible waterfowling history all over the place in a lot of really old famous clubs. Take Beaver Dam for example.....Have you ever read a Nash Buckingham Story? Or Wingmead north of Stuttgart, Edgar Queeny, basically "took" 11,000 acres of land through imminent domain in the 1930's and now it is probably one of the best duck clubs in all of Arkansas. And these are just a few famous ones.....there are a ton more (i'm not even going to begin to explain Claypools) and then there are great clubs that aren't nearly as famous like Bull Sprig, Harvey's, Dancing Mallard, Mallard Pond, Fighting Bayou, The Doctor's Club, York Woods, Irby Woods.......just to name a few.....A lot of money, sweat, and hard work went into starting all of these clubs......I would hardly call that "topwater"

had a lease last year just about 1000yrdfrom Mallard Pond's actual resting pond. Hunted it 15 days last year and never killed less than 20 ducks a day. Stayed up there 7 days in a row and averaged 31 a day during those 7 days when everyone we talked to was killin 3 or 4 a day. At lunch time a would ride up to the treelin that surrounds the pond and just watch all the ducks through the only little gap in the trees. it was a spectacle.....

The statement above is false.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2009, 7:53 pm 
Gadwall

I would go to Swan Creek and hunt all day to kill 2 woodducks and a bluebill...seriously, Harvey's Duck club as seen in the Echo videos...

3. "don't shoot the hen"