It is currently December 14th, 2017, 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 11th, 2017, 11:08 am 
Coot

Hunting season is just around the corner and I am getting excited. I moved to Huntsville last winter and did not get an opportunity to waterfowl hunt but I am ready to get out there this year. Anytime I search for waterfowl hunting info online I see this forum so I figured I should join. I am originally from OK. I grew up hunting deer and other small game and didn't get into waterfowl until I was in grad school. It quickly became an obsession. I started with ducks and quickly moved into goose hunting, which became my passion (I lived in a place with more geese than ducks). Anyway just wanted to say hello and see if there were any goose hunters out there looking for someone to hunt with. I have an enclosed trailer, decoys, and layout blinds sitting in OK waiting to brought down here if I can find some geese to shoot. I plan to explore the Tennessee valley for ducks this winter and I am sure I'll see some of you out there.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2017, 2:55 pm 
Coot

Goose hunting public water is hard during early season unless you are the first on the scene. Look at farm ponds in rural areas. Some farmers will let you hunt. We killed 8 last weekend on a pond.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2017, 3:29 pm 
Coot

Thanks for the response lkgaskins4. Good to know some farmers will allow you to hunt. Do you not see many birds feeding in the harvested corn or soy bean fields?

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 11:11 am 
Coot

Yeah sometimes, but during early goose they seem to still be feeding on grasses and aquatic vegetation. later in the year they will hit the corn

PostPosted: October 24th, 2017, 11:15 am 
Redhead

Gooseman13 wrote:
Thanks for the response lkgaskins4. Good to know some farmers will allow you to hunt. Do you not see many birds feeding in the harvested corn or soy bean fields?

Geese don't act the same here as they do in the mid-west. They can be killed, but you'll be disappointed if you think you'll get into them like they do out further west. Most here are resident, and you gotta be on the X. Hopefully, you can get the OK to be on said X.

Welcome to the forum. This place has gone terribly quiet over the last few years. You have some decent public land (on certain days) close by to the east and west. I'll be at Swan Creek a few days this year. If you see a dirty silver Toyota Tundra around, stop and say hello. You work on the Arsenal?

PostPosted: October 24th, 2017, 4:08 pm 
Coot

Thanks stevena198301. I have noticed its not very active on here. I have had a couple of others PM me directly and the conversations with them were helpful. I will be spending some time trying to locate the geese this winter but if I do not have much luck I have already considered selling the goose decoys and trailer and getting a boat for ducks. I will just have to see how this year works out. If I can find them and can get a place near them to hunt I think I can get them in. Early season back home was mostly resident birds and I could usually do pretty well.

If I see a dirty Tundra I'll be sure to say hello. I am not working on Redstone. I work for a pharmaceutical company in Huntsville. Moving always sucks. It takes a few years to really learn the new area, how to avoid overcrowded areas and the patterns the deer/birds will follow during the season.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 9:47 am 
Coot

Hey bud, I'm pretty new to hunting fowl myself but I have 14' with a long tail on it. I'm right outside of Auburn, al. If you want to get together to give them a shot give me a shout.