It is currently October 15th, 2018, 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coosa River Access
PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 3:28 pm 
Coot

Hi all,

I am planing on hunting along the Coosa River and would like access at the Neely Henry public launch. As this is owned by Alabama Power, are there any issues with using the launch to duck hunt? There is a sign when you enter the Ten Island Historic Park that no forearms are permitted... has anyone had any trouble with using Alabama Power public launches to hunt with regards to having their shotgun with them ? I contacted the local game warden and he advised me to contact Alabama Power, which i have emailed them but wanted to hear if anyone had any first hand knowledge. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Coosa River Access
PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 3:45 am 
Hooded Merganser

gun must be in case when in route to hunting spot.is what I was told.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 10:02 am 
Coot

Thanks Doughboy. Like I said, i emailed Alabama Power so if I hear differently I will let you know. Good luck out there

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 7:57 am 
Gadwall

I actually work for al power the only thing you have to do is stay in the boat while hunting it’s not like tva lakes or land if you step foot out of your boat with gun it’s a 1500 trespassing fine I hunt the coosa all the time stay 100 yards away from any home and a boat house is not considered a home so it’s just main dwellings also just be smart where you hunt don’t just pull up in the river channel in Gadsden by police station and start shooting power co has so weird rules but it is also public so you can hunt it just don’t take gun out of boat while hunting you can go retrieve birds no problem

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 1:04 pm 
Ruddy Duck

I had the same question. I drove up to Ten Islands park to put in and saw all of the "No Firearms" signs. I ended up calling the game warden 2x with no answer. The AL Power building was un-manned at the time. I called the game check number and they were unsure. Did you ever get a firm answer from AL Power?
-Nick

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 2:03 pm 
Coot

Thanks for the great info Hen Slayer.

Nick, I have not heard back from Alabama Power officially but did speak to the game warden who said that’s from their end all is well just follow APC rules. It’s not terrific hunting around that launch but from the gunshots i hear i think the river is where the action is, just don’t have good access as I am in a kayak and there’s no good point of entry for where I would be comfortable on the river

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 3:24 pm 
Gadwall

Most of those gun shots are from private property ponds and swamps around there there’s not much action on the river right now all local birds and woodies you better be on the x if you plan on killing anything I would be careful in a small boat out there make sure you got good lights all the crazy bass fisherman that think it’s their lake will run you over

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 5:12 pm 
Coot

That is true there are a lot of them and very surprised they still come out even when super cold out.

Glad you cleared up my thoughts on the river because I’ve been itching to find a way into there some how but don’t wanna be unsafe... thanks

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 6:31 pm 
Gadwall

Personally I like Weiss better than the lower lakes I don’t know if it’s the shallower water or the open water it has but I grew up hunting there and always had good luck up there but same rules apply for all the Coosa River impoundments

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 8:20 pm 
Coot

Been a good introduction to hunting in Alabama this year. Had some decent success with a few Woodies some bufflehead and some misses on the mallards. Last day for me tomorrow and have high hopes for the weather. Overall would say coosa river much better than the lake but in a kayak sortve limited to access