It is currently October 17th, 2017, 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 13th, 2012, 5:08 pm 
Harlequin Duck

GulfCoast wrote:
This is how I would fix it. Its an old school but effective first-step to teach/solidify the whistle sit. I am no pro, but its how I was taught, and I have help fix 3 dogs with whistle issues/sloppy sits doing what follows. It will take about 4 weeks or so to get rock solid. If you alread "did this" go back and do it again, and get it SOLID.

Every morning and afternoon, put your dog on lead, and go for a walk, with your whistle. At random intervals, stop walking, and at the same time, tug straight up on the lead, and say “sit.” Praise the hell out of the dog. Make him think this is something he WANTS to do. Do this for several days. Even if the dog is rock solid, keep it up. And just give a firm tug, we are not trying to correct the dog, just give a stimulus for a quick sit to beat that tug (and as a side benefit, walk ups in hunt tests will be cake).

Now, after about a week of “sit” do the same thing, but with your whistle in your mouth. When you tug and say “sit” blow a sit whistle. Do this for a week. Then, do it again and don’t say “sit” just tug and blow the sit whistle. This is booring, you ain’t gonna want to keep doing it, thinking you got it licked. Keep doing it. You are chaining the whistle to the “sit” command. You are also taking steps to eliminate a loopy sit, without realizing it.

Now, take the dog for a walk on lead, and do not tug, just blow the whistle. The dog should sit PDQ, every time, and we have not whacked, burned, beat or screamed. Test this in the yard by just blowing a sit whistle, and if the dog sits PDQ, with you not in his sight, we are ready for the next step.

Let me know in a few weeks when ya got this done, and I will give step two. If I tell you now, you will cheat and go too quickly. I know this, since I would do the same thing! :lol:

I always love to read your posts!!! :cool

Only thing I will add (and all you dog experts tell me if I am wrong) is the volume of the whistle.
I always make it a point to keep my voice/whistle to a very low tone when the dog is at heel or relatively close. The dog should know (and obey) the command no matter the volume. This will come into play later (in the duck blind) when you don't want to raise your voice. Just my $.02

How many are your works, LORD! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures. Psalm 104:24
I will sing to the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. Psalm 104:33

PostPosted: March 13th, 2012, 6:22 pm 
Tundra Swan

Don't stroke his ego! He already thinks he's a dog whisperer because he converted a British. :P

I would really recommend you find someone to train with you. You've received really good advice, but interweb training will not go deep or last long. You are near Jerry Day of Days End Retrievers. He always welcomes people to train with him.

HRCH Play It Again, Sam MH MNH QA2 "Sam"
Scout's High Calibre "Colt"

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 10:37 am 
Mallard

I want step 2 now!!!!!!!!! LOL

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 8:10 pm 
Hooded Merganser

Ok thanks again, I'll try this and see how it works. I took him out today just walking in the woods and after working the heel command I let him take a break and walk ahead of me. I was just curious so I blew the whistle and he turned and sit without any problem. I did this about 4 times and he did well each time. I'm going to do what you said and get back with you.
When I was having problems before though was when he was trying to find his bumper. At least when I finish with this in a few weeks I'll know that he understands and thats he's just ignoring me.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2017, 7:15 am 
Coot

Looping whistle sit,need some help,look for gulf coast/music_mans part two of the fix