It is currently April 26th, 2018, 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Opinions on buck..
PostPosted: August 12th, 2013, 4:23 pm 
Gadwall

A cull buck in Alabama haha. Bucks arent the only one that carry genes. That buck is at least three, that is 2 good years of breeding. Ridding your heard of that gene is long since gone. I would let it grow as long as you could, just my opinion.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2013, 8:53 pm 
Quackmaster

Looks like a 3 yr old. More than likely he has injured his pedicle fighting. I have pictures of tons of them, and most all of them are the same yr after yr. But if he has good characteristics other than the right side being damaged, I would let him walk and pass on his traits to the next generation.

As for the 150" thing, there are very few in Alabama, and a 130" 3-4 yr buck is a trophy for most hunters here. But I do have a 170"+ 5yr old on camera I am going to be hunting this fall :).

PostPosted: August 12th, 2013, 9:08 pm 
Harlequin Duck

antlerhunter wrote:
As for the 150" thing, there are very few in Alabama, and a 130" 3-4 yr buck is a trophy for most hunters here. But I do have a 170"+ 5yr old on camera I am going to be hunting this fall :).

I agree. We've had 6 over 135 killed the past two years around us but an Alabama deer getting to 150 is few and far between.
Need help with that pawpaw deer you just let me know!! I've got one this year that'll be a shooter if he shows up in bow season. My buddy passed on a 22" 2 yo 6 pointer last year so hopefully he'll be even better this year. I'm ready for it!

PostPosted: August 18th, 2013, 7:26 pm 
Redhead

in my mind he is a shooter for my bow and muzzy broad heads there is not a lot i will cull with a bow in my hand. :blob

, mossberg83512ga, 31/2"weatherby vanguard 243 Winchester, Nikon scope GOD / FAMILY/ DUCKS IN That Order ,Diamond Infinite Edge compound Rock solid back wall. / Slick Trick #1 broad heads, muzzy MX-4's